Register for the 2021 ICTE Fall Conference (Meeting in Person!)

Brenna Griffin and Nikki Smith , 2021 Conference Chairs

2021 Iowa Council of Teachers of English Fall Conference

Our 2021 Fall Conference will fill your head and heart as you work to become the best version of yourself in a post-pandemic educational landscape. We cannot wait to gather with our members with the lofty goal of Reimagining our Future Together. See you on Oct. 14-15 in Johnston, Iowa!

Register for the fall conference at this link: FALL CONFERENCE REGISTRATION

Propose a breakout session here: SUBMIT SESSION PROPOSALS

Imagining Our Future Together

While you may want to throw your shoe at us for using this word, the 2020-21 school year was certainly unprecedented. We’ve traded seeing students’ full smiles and frowns for inferring moods from eyes alone–or even small black boxes on a computer screen. We’ve modified scope and sequence for a hybrid schedule, desperately trying not to lose too much richness and rigor along the way. We’ve owned and understood what schools mean to communities, and we’ve shouldered our share of criticism for the times we’ve missed the mark. Through it all, we’ve shown up day after day for our students.

The challenges of this year have been bittersweet. We learned new resources and reimagined engagement for our students, internalizing the freshness of taking risks in our classrooms, in person and virtual. However, the pandemic laid bare the problems with equity and access in our systems, forcing us to deeply question: how are our choices serving all of our students?

These are big, hard questions. None of us want to go back to being the teachers we were before the pandemic, but this heart work is intense, vulnerable, and overwhelming. 

The good news is that we don’t have to do it alone. We can be intentional and thoughtful, and we can do it all with the support of our English teacher community. 

ICTE’s Fall 2021 Conference asks us to Reimagine our Future in ways that will support teachers and students in a lifelong journey of opening doors through literacy. Sara K. Ahmed’s work focuses on teaching Social Comprehension, asking important questions like “How do we create learning conditions where kids can ask the questions they want to ask, muddle through how to say the things they are thinking, and have tough conversations? How can we be proactive and take steps to engaging in the types of conversations where risk is high but the payoff could be even greater?” Lorena Germán, a co-founder of Multicultural Classroom and #DisruptTexts, will support us in creating language arts classrooms that are inclusive and equitable.

With more flexible breakout session options and more intentional opportunities to connect with English teachers across the state, our 2021 Fall Conference will fill your head and heart as you work to become the best version of yourself in a post-pandemic educational landscape. We cannot wait to gather with our members with the lofty goal of Reimagining our Future Together. See you there!

Brenna Griffin and Nikki Smith, 2021 Conference Chairs